- Broadway Revue program with the Red Hills Players.
- Singing in local events in Boston, Georgia, including a St. Patrick's Day event and the downtown Christmas celebration.
- Singing in a full-fledged opera in a principal role. In May, I was privileged to be called back to perform at my alma mater, Pensacola Christian College, in the role of Belcore for the opera The Elixir of Love (in English).
- Teaching voice students in our home studio. Bethany, my wife, has also continued teaching voice and piano students, taking a break for the birth of our first child, a son named Ronan.
- Continuing to sing with the Sons of Jubal men's chorus, and beginning preparations for a trip to Israel in October 2015.
- Singing in several weddings and church events.
My life is continuing to become more diverse; as in the past year I became a father, changed jobs, and committed to start working on another bachelor's degree in 2015. For my career I am transitioning into the IT world, and have started an online degree program to lead me toward that end. I continue to work part-time at our church ministry as the youth director.
- Weekly posts on the Harmony Passion blog - a large undertaking in my busy life, but a worthwhile endeavor that I don't want to give up. I plan to begin by continuing my Music in the Bible posts.
- Create at least two music videos on my YouTube channel.
- Travel to Israel with the Sons of Jubal in October.
- Sing with a local barbershop chorus that I have not yet participated in. I love the barbershop style, and want to continue to be a part of this unique musical community.
I have many other thoughts and ideas for the future, but I am beginning to learn in my life that I have limits on what I can realistically accomplish. With as busy as life is currently, I think that these goals are plenty sufficient to keep me going and growing this year.
What are your goals in music in 2015? Leave a comment below and let me know!
Rick McDonnell is a church and local community musician, and the head blogger at Harmony Passion. Rick and his wife Bethany use the knowledge gained by earning college degrees in music to teach voice and piano students in their home studio. Rick enjoys singing in harmony, family time, technology, running, basketball, and studying and teaching the Bible as the youth director at his church.